We are going to take a tactical journey in an attempt to make some short lists of the most important game styles and what each style relies on to make themselves successful. We will also take the time to analyze how each style matches up against the others.
Counter punchers are able to hit their targets with a high percentage of first serves. They develop good enough serves to enable themselves to start the point in a neutral position. They tend to use a good THREE QUARTER SPEED first serve in order to keep their percentage high. They also like to develop width, and are good at softer slice out wide.
Gilles Simon and Caroline Wozniacki are great examples in the modern game.
- Very consistent from the baseline, solid from both sides
- Great mover on the court, especially in a defensive position
- Excellent anticipation
- Redirect Pace well
- Absorbs power well
- Changes pace very well to throw off aggressive players rhythm
- Has effective passing shots and excellent offensive and defensive lob
- HALF-X : Short angle, deep cross court. Deep cross court, short angle
- Keeps the ball deep and moves opponent from side to side
- Serve into body, first ball high and heavy, tries to push opponent off the baseline
- Slices backhand shorter in the court, then heavy back behind them
- Keeps opponent off balance
- keeps the ball low in zone 1, high in zone 3, (high to backhand especially)